Annulments occur where you or your spouse can show that your marriage is invalid. Marriages can be invalid under the following circumstances:
- A party lacked capacity to consent to the marriage either due to mental incapacity or infirmity, the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other incapacitating substances;
- A party lacked physical capacity to consummate the marriage and the other party did not at the time of the marriage know of the incapacity;
- A party was under the age as provided by law and did not have the consent of his/her parents or guardian or judicial approval as provided by law;
- One party entered into the marriage in reliance upon a fraudulent act or representation of the other party which act or representation goes to the essence of the marriage;
- One or both parties entered into the marriage under duress;
- One or both parties entered into the marriage as a jest or dare;
- Or law prohibits the marriage.