Divorce Procedure

When is my case going to be over?

The court may grant your divorce on the 91st day following the filing of your Petition for Dissolution.

Can I change my name at the time of divorce?

Yes, though you must request your name be restored prior to the finalization of your decree. Your name can only be changed to one that you previously used.

Can I complete my divorce without hiring an attorney?

It is possible to complete your divorce without representation by an attorney. However, it is not recommended as this process is emotional and often more difficult than originally expected. An attorney can ensure that your interests are protected during the process as well as give you valuable advice on the overall proceedings. It is especially dangerous to represent yourself in divorce court if the divorce is contested.