Are you going through a divorce in Colorado and looking for a Denver divorce lawyer? Do you need a competent Colorado Springs divorce attorney? Are you looking for legal guidance on your separation in Boulder?
If you’re facing a divorce in Colorado, follow these three steps to find the right Colorado divorce attorney for your case.
1. Get Referrals
When you’re looking for a divorce lawyer, don’t immediately turn to the phone book or Google. You’ll find too many options, and you won’t know which ones are worth looking into.
Instead, narrow down your choices by asking your friends who have gone through a divorce about their experience. If they have good things to say about their attorney, then save the name for future research
If you have friends who are lawyers, you should ask them for referrals as well, because lawyers who practice other areas of law often have to work with those who practice family law. So, for instance, a Denver tax attorney might be able to give you the name of an excellent Denver divorce lawyer.
Once you get a list of referrals, then it’s time to do some research to decide which ones to interview. And the easiest place to start is Google.
Type in a lawyer’s name and hit enter. Then check out anything relevant that comes up, such as their website, Facebook page, and LinkedIn profile.
Here are a few things to look for:
- Does the lawyer handle divorce cases exclusively? You want someone who always practices divorce law, so if you see that a lawyer handles other types of cases, too, then you may want to take him or her off the list.
- Does the lawyer represent clients like you? If they represent a lot celebrities or extremely wealthy people – and you aren’t one of those things – then hiring them might not be the best idea.
- Overall, do their websites/online profiles seem professional and trustworthy?
Once you narrow down your list through referrals and Internet research, you should start contacting lawyers directly.
Start with a phone call. Ask about their billing practices to determine whether they’re in your price range, and, more generally, just get a feel for how they handle themselves. If they rub you the wrong way or take three days to get back to you, scratch them from the list.
If the phone call goes well, then set up a meeting. Look for these things during your initial consultation:
- Personal service. You want a lawyer who will treat your case with care, not just like another number.
- Communication skills. During your case, you’ll want to understand everything that’s happening. So look for a lawyer who can communicate complicated legal concepts in simple terms.
- A strong support staff. Look for an attorney who has competent and trustworthy partners, associates and support personnel. You and your attorney will need it.
Colorado Divorce Lawyer
Follow these tips to guide your search for a Colorado Springs divorce attorney, Denver divorce lawyer, or competent lawyer wherever you are in Colorado.